- MA, USA
- Full Time Temporary/Seasonal
New England Aquarium is hiring one camp instructor for the 2013 session of Harbor Discoveries Camp! Specific age group placements will be decided upon hire. The instructor will supervise the boys' group during overnights.
A Harbor Discoveries Instructor will lead a group of participants in one of two levels; Junior (36 campers, grades 4 & 5), Senior (36 campers, grades 6 & 7), or Advanced* (10 – 23 campers, grades 8, 9 & 10). Junior and Senior levels are taught on separate dates and will be taught by the same staff. Program details at: www.neaq.org/camps
This position lasts from June 17th, 2013 through August 23rd, 2013. The schedule is M-F 8am-6pm plus Thursday overnights. It also requires one weekend overnight commitment on June 29th & June 30th. Instructors of Advanced Camp will have 2 full-week (M – F), overnight commitments.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the safety of all participants, interns and volunteers.
- Lead groups in field study and activity in the Aquarium, on boat trips, during night hikes and on all day excursions.
- Contribute to the development of weekly theme-based science projects and activities.
- Implement objectives effectively with thought provoking, engaging, and creative teaching methods.
- Teach participants to observe, discover, and appreciate the natural world and Aquarium galleries and exhibits.
- Promote appropriate behavior and serve as a positive role model for participants and other staff.
- Present behind-the-scenes tours, Giant Ocean Tank talks or Live Animal presentations.
- Oversee all aspects of preparation and clean up of all program-related activities and equipment both on and offsite.
- Supervise other staff roles in supporting the program, including college interns and teenage Counselors in Training.
* Advanced instructor will lead groups on week- long offsite experiences, with a partnering institution like Oceans Classroom onboard a schooner, and/or a weeklong stay at the marine science institute, Project Oceanology.
Bachelors degree in education, natural sciences or a related field, or equivalent experience required.
• Must be at least 21 years old. (Must be 25 years old for for Advanced Instructor role).
• Must have a valid driver's license and a minimum of two years driving experience.
• Experience driving a large 15 passenger van preferred.
• Minimum of 2 - 4 years experience teaching /coordinating environmental education science-based programs either outdoors or in an informal classroom situation.
• Minimum of 1 - 2 years experience creating curriculum, activities or other environmental education related development.
• Proven experience working with and mentoring teenagers.
• Strong background in marine biology, freshwater ecology, geology and other related sciences OR strong familiarity with the Aquarium (greater than 250 hours experience as staff, volunteer, or intern).
• Hold current certification as a lifeguard and first aid and CPR, or higher by the start of Camp.
• Significant experience working with diverse racial/socio-economic populations.
• Exceptional organizational, leadership, and communication skills required.
• Demonstrates reliability, responsibility and enthusiasm.
• Public speaking and/or competence in a second language helpful.
• Experience and or working knowledge of GIS technology a plus.
*Advanced Instructor will lead groups on one or two, one-week offsite experiences and will be responsible for the group round the clock. Hiking, camping and outdoor living experience required.
*** Employment is contingent upon the results of an Expanded Criminal Offender Record (CORI) and Sexual Offender Record (SORI) review. ***
New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!