- MA, USA
- Full Time Regular
TITLE: Aquarist I
REPORTS TO: Assistant Curator, Fishes
HOURS: Full Time Regular Friday- Tuesday or Thursday- Monday, 8:00am-5:00pm
JOB SUMMARY: The Aquarist I position is supporting the West Wing and Jellies exhibits.
The Aquarist I is generally responsible for the appearance and maintenance of all assigned exhibits and support areas, including off-site facilities, providing proper husbandry for the animal collection, supervising Assistant Aquarists and volunteers. The Aquarist also assists in acquiring specimens for assigned exhibits, setting up new exhibits, and performing other related curatorial duties.
This position is full time, 40 hours per week. This position is full time regular. The schedule will either be Friday- Tuesday or Thursday- Monday, 8:00am-5:00pm
TO APPLY YOU MUST:
Be SCUBA Certified (Basic Open Water) through a recognized SCUBA agency.
Have a valid driver's license.
Be available to work at least one weekend day and probably both.
**PLEASE INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION.**
1. Provides daily care of assigned exhibits and life support systems according to established standards of appearance and animal care.
2. Makes daily observations of animals for health assessment according to established norms of animal's behavior and appearance. Establishes, with the aid of the supervisor and the Animal Health department, appropriate dietary regime, medications and enrichment requirements.
3. Maintains written records and submits animal records via Animal Database System (accessions, dispositions, moves, mortalities) in accordance with proper animal husbandry practices and departmental policy.
4. Manages water quality and environmental parameters in assigned exhibits and holding tanks in conjunction with the Animal Health department.
5. Acquires specimens for assigned exhibits by organizing collecting trips, arranging for trades, breeding, rehabilitating or purchasing of animals.
6. Manages exhibit life support systems and participates in the design, upgrade and installation of such systems.
7. Directs the activities of Assistant Aquarists and volunteers.
8. May be required to work some holidays and some nights and respond to emergencies at all hours.
9. Depending on area of assignment, may be routinely expected to perform public presentations regarding animals and exhibits in assigned areas.
10. Routinely expected to drive box truck to transport animals.
11. Performs other position-related duties, as assigned.
Requires Bachelor's Degree with an emphasis on biology, zoology, marine biology, microbiology or other related field. 6 months of job- related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Internationally recognized SCUBA diving certification.
• Medical Examiner's authorization to SCUBA dive in accordance with NEAq Diving Control Board.
• Drivers License and Medical Examiner's Certificate in accordance with Motor Carrier Safety Regulation (49 CFR 391.41-391.49).
• Open Water SCUBA Certification required, Advanced, Rescue Diver SCUBA certification preferred.
Experience and Skills
• Public speaking and customer service experience
• Experience with building and plumbing
• Husbandry and/ or research experience with marine animals.
New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!